Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Job/chore chart and income



I had a friend ask me to go into more detail of the job chart. So I will do my best to explain more.




It works on a tally mark system, they can get up to 6 tally marks on "daily chores". (you don't get marks for Sunday, but you still do the work) I guess I should explain that there are three categories on the credit list; daily, weekly or as needed, and monthly or extra jobs. I shaded them in so that they could tell the difference. I Made it have 2 weeks, then total, and then 3 week and total, so that the kids could see their progress half way through, even if they don't get paid until the end of the month. Dad gets paid twice in a month so we just made it like a real job.




The charts are posted in a central location (some where that they will see it everyday) so that we can both see their progress.




I do have time limits on a few, and if the job is not done on time, they can't mark it as done. They also can not back mark. If you can't be responsible to mark your chart, you can't get the credit.




As far as the minus section goes, you will have to figure out what your child struggles with and make it suit them. The child that has the problem with timing, has it on both credit and minus. So not only does he not get a mark if homework is not completed by 5, but he gets a minus too. I don't do that with every chore, but that is one we are really trying to work on.




When you are determining what chores to put on your chart, make a list. I sat down and wrote down everything that either I did when I was a kid or that I would like them to do or learn to do. Think of jobs that you do that your kids could do for extra money and put it on the chart. That way, instead of asking what they can do for extra money, they just look on the list and choose what they want to do. Then they feel like they have a little control in the work. They may never do the chore, but at least it is on option.




Finally, if it a chore your child has never done, you need to SHOW them how to do it the first time, WATCH them the second and then by the third time they should know how to do it the way YOU want it done. There may need to be refreshes here and there, but one thing I have learned is that my way of "Clean" and a boys way of "Clean"are VERY different.


Also, I left extra spaces for things to be added on. Just like your budget changes every month, so will their chores. I had my oldest pass one of his jobs off to my third son and had HIM teach it. It was interesting to see how much my oldest really did remember from when he was taught.


Good luck and happy chore days!!!

2 comments:

  1. i love it! thank you for posting this info. i hope to get started on this soon. you are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! how did you make them? on your computer? they look amazing! it sounds like a system that will work! good luck!

    ReplyDelete